The School of Arts and Social Sciences at City is a cosmopolitan, outward-looking, internationally-excellent centre of education and research. City’s founding principles to promote the education, wellbeing and employability of students from all backgrounds remain core to today’s School of Arts and Social Sciences.
A dynamic community
The School is a dynamic community, home to an inclusive mix of students both local and global. It includes around 4,200 students (one third postgraduate) and 250 staff, currently organised in seven academic departments:
We aim to:
- enrich the lives and enhance the career prospects of our students.
- provide a first-class education and student experience which is inspiring, innovative and engaged with the world beyond academia
- produce world-class research of benefit to society and our students and with global reach
- provide innovative and distinctive programmes of study
- shape the public sphere, through our research, knowledge exchange activities, our graduates, and our academics
- embrace the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in all our activities.
Investing in Arts and Social Sciences
City is investing massively in the Arts and Social Sciences. Over the next five years, the School will increase academic staff and student numbers by a third, and develop research and teaching strengths in new subject areas at City – Politics and Modern History. We will also invest in becoming a major centre for quantitative social science in London.
Led by the Dean, the School leadership team is responsible for leading in all strategic areas to ensure delivery of the School’s mission, and for ensuring the wellbeing of the SASS community.
School Leadership Team
- Dean: Professor Anna Whitelock
- Deputy Dean: Professor Laurence Solkin
- Chief Operating Officer: James Phillips
- Associate Dean Postgraduate Research: Dr. Emmeline Taylor
- Associate Dean Education: Dr Deborah Rafalin
- Associate Dean Student Experience: Dr. Koen Slootmaeckers
- Associate Dean People and Culture: Dr Diana Yeh
Heads of Department
- Economics: Dr. Levent Celik
- English: Dr. Minna Vuohelainen
- International Politics: Dr. Amnon Aran
- Journalism: Dr. Mel Bunce
- Music: Dr Newton Armstrong
- Psychology: Dr. Trudi Edginton
- Sociology: Dr Jenny Mbaye